Wednesday, February 17, 2010

LENT 2010


Today is the day...the first time I have ever observed Lent. I have attended a Baptist church all of my life but never learned the "seasons of the Church" with regard to things common to the Catholic faith such as Advent, Epiphany, Fat Tuesday (which I commonly attached to Mardi Gras followed by Ash Wednesday (which is today) Lent, etc...so as we approached the Advent season (prior to Christmas) I began to wonder what it was really all about and began to study what I could find.

There are 40 days and 6 Sundays of Lent, beginning on Ash Wednesday and climaxing during Holy Week with Holy Thursday (Maundy Thursday), Good Friday, and concluding Saturday before Easter. It is widely considered a time of prayer and preparation prior to celebrating Easter. Forty represents the number of days Jesus walked in the wilderness and endured the temptation. My "lent partner" is MJ Jones...who introduced me to Catholic worship several weeks ago and coached me up on what is common practice and why. I have also enlisted several accountability partners just to check in with me. Accountability is the only way I know how to walk.


So, for my first year of observing Lent I chose the traditional fasting from desserts and sweets as a worshipful act of sacrifice. I also decided to forego all music and talk radio in the car when I am driving alone (to and from work or wherever). This silence will give me additional time to pray for those I do life with....family, friends, students, etc. As this came about I realized that I really rely on talk radio since I have a 25 minute commute to and from work. So, to replace that with prayer time will be a challenge but I am confident it will reap benefits far greater than being in the know on sports or politics or news. I am expectant and excited to see what all the Lord will do this season of Lent.

No comments:

Post a Comment